Leading Edge Performance
The PlexWriter 8/20, Plextor’s first high-performance 8X CD-Recordable drive, is a professional quality CD writer. With the PlexWriter 8/20, users get uncompromising dependability and performance.
The PlexWriter 8/20’s Fast SCSI burst rates, low CPU utilization, huge 4MB buffer, internal cooling, vibration dampening, and synchronous data transfer all add up to increased efficiency and more reliable CD writing. Once a blank CD-R disc is recognized by the drive’s circuitry, the PlexWriter 8/20 adjusts to provide the optimum laser power and length of burn for that particular media. Reliable CD-R writing is practically a guarantee with the PlexWriter.
Build in Plextor’s CD-ROM reader performance and get two drives in one – a blazing recorder and great CD-ROM reader with throughput that zips past any sixteen speed CD-ROM drive. The PlexWriter 8/20 reads at a minimum of 12X and maximum of 20X with 170ms average random access times.
An exciting new feature is support for UDF writable file system implemented through packet writing. Software included in Plextor’s retail kits supports packet writing enabled CD SneakerNet. Packet writing capability now makes CD-R the least expensive removable and shareable media available. Users can simply drag and drop a file to the PlexWriter 8/20 like a floppy and share it with their colleagues, then later continue adding files and sharing the same CD-R disc.
The PlexWriter 8/20 also supports Plextor’s own hard drive disaster recovery software.* Users can record a copy of their hard drive, operating system, program files, and data, directly to the PlexWriter 8/20. If the hard drive fails, users can use nearly any CD-ROM drive to boot from the backup disc, then restore not only the data, but also the entire system with original configuration for every program previously installed. There is no need to reconfigure the programs, even the user’s desktop is restored to its original configuration.
For professional use, the PlexWriter 8/20 improves performance of most applications such as archiving or backing up data, images or video to CD-R, publishing data on CD, mastering new software programs, creating new multimedia titles, mixing and creating custom CD-Audio discs, CD duplication and file sharing.
* Available only in special retail kits
PLEXWRITER 8/20 Benefits
- 8X recording for fastest record speed available in standard half-height form factor drives. At 8X speeds, in only ten minutes 650MB of data is recorded to CD-R media.
- Maximum of twenty and minimum of twelve speed data transfer during read. More data throughput than typical sixteen speed drives.
- Blazing 170ms access times combined with Fast SCSI burst transfer rates speed up multitasking operating systems such as Windows NT and Windows 95. Database searches also run faster.
- Optimized management of 4MB buffer results in use of less CPU resources and more reliable writing.
- More Reliability
- Solid construction and advanced components place the PLEXWRITER 8/20 a cut above the rest. Brushless motors with two bearings on cushioned suspension ensure minimal disc vibration and years of dependable service.
- Fast SCSI burst rates, low CPU utilization, added cooling, vibration dampening, large buffer, and synchronous data transfer add up to increased efficiency and more reliable CD writing.
- Furthermore, once a blank CD-R disc is recognized, the drive provides the optimum laser power and length of burn for that media.
- Front panel and software controls for easy playback of your favorite music Cds.
- Flash Firmware. Allows installation of new firmware without opening the drive. Easily upgrade to support the latest technology without having tp purchase the next generation drive.
- Easy installation and upgrade with SCAM (SCSI Configured Auto Magically) – SCSI IDs are auto-selected and termination can be auto-configured.
- Beneficial for first time install and sharing external drives on several systems, SCAM is true Plug & Play*
- More Compatibility – All major operating systems including Windows 95, Windows NT & MAC OS; writes and reads all major formats; reads all recordable formats – CD-R (CD-Recordable) media, CD-R/W (CD-Re-Writable) and applicable standards such as CD-UDF packet writing standards. The result is worry-free installation and playback.
* Requires SCAM (SCSI Configured Auto Magically) capable SCSI interface board available in PlexWriter 8/20 kits.
** Plextor updates recommended media periodically. Check our web site for latest postings.
Total Solution Features
- 8X Recorder
- Writes at 8X, 4X & 1X speeds
- 20X max/12X min P-CAV Reader
- 170ms Average Random Access
- 4MB Buffer
- Fast SCSI Write & Read
- 10MB/sec. Burst Transfer Rates
- Reads CD-R/W (CD-ReWritable) media
- Media recognition circuitry and running OPC
- Capable of Digital Audio Extraction at high speed
- Upgradeable Flash Firmware
- Windows 9x Plug & Play Compatible
- MMC Compliant
- Writes CD-DA; CD-ROM (Mode 1); CD-ROM (Mixed Mode); CD-ROM & CD-DA; CD-ROM XA; Mode 2 Form 1 and Form 2; Mode 2 Mixed Form; CD-I; Photo CD; CD-EXTRA
- Creates ISO 9660-HFS; Rockridge; PhotoCD, Video CD; CD-I; CD-Extra (CD-Plus); Enhanced CD; CD-R; CD G; CD-Midi
- Supports Disc-at-Once, Track-at-Once, Multisession, Variable & Fixed packet writing modes
- One-Year Full Warranty (parts, labor, replacement)
- Unlimited Toll-Free Tech Support
Plextor ManagerTM 32-bit software utilities offer unique features, including Digital Audio Extraction at high speed. Create .WAV files from CD-Audio discs. Or use Plextor’s new AudioFS to view and browse CD-Audio discs as .WAV files auomatically. You can drag and drop these .WAV files to other applications and the extraction occurs automatically. Even send digital audio directly to USB speakers. In addition, Plextor Manager offers DiscDupeTM which gives you the power to use CD-ROM drives as a source to duplicate CDs directly to a PlexWriterTM with “bit-by-bit” accuracy using Disc-at-Once method – no expensive software add-ons needed. Other valuable utilities include CD/AV player for complete audio CD control, and Disc InfoTM, which reports the disc format, file type, tracks and number of sessions.
|Dimensions||8 × 6 × 2 in|